Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pitchfork Fest 2009 Day 3




Headed back to Union Park for Day Three of Pitchfork Fest. The Mae Shi and Michael Columbia started the day off. Caught a few songs from both, but nothing really sparked my attention. Frightened Rabbit, a band I've been meaning to check out (live) for some time, were up next. As lead singer, Scott Hutchison, stated, "We've been in Chicago more times in the last year than we have our hometown (Glasgow)." Very impressive set in my opinion. Right after Frightened Rabbit was the Portland based Blitzen Trapper. Yet another band I've been meaning to see live for some time. Good set, however I thought the sound was super quiet. Then again, it may have just been where I was standing. And unfortunately I'm still not as into this band as much as I think I should and one day will be. Women were next on the list, however two songs was good enough for me. Nothing too special. The Thermals on the other hand had a pretty decent set. Was a little surprised to hear a few covers, especially Green Day's "Basket Case." Next up were The Walkmen, one of my most anticipated acts of the fest. Apparently they had just flown in from playing a show in Portugal the night before and thankfully weren't suffering from any jet-lag, because they killed it. By far the most solid set of the entire festival. So so good. Passed on M83 (not really a big fan) to stay close for Grizzly Bear, one of my favorite groups over the last few years. Another great performance, as expected, minus a few technical problems. The songs off Veckatimest sounded great live. And finally, to close off the weekend, The Flaming Lips. Definitely the most "entertaining" show with their stage presence, back drop, and of course the inflatable ball. However, other than the last two songs, "She Don't Use Jelly" and "Do You Realize??," I can't say that I was overly impressed. So yeah, overall, minus a few rain drops, some quiet sets, and what seemed to be a slightly larger crowd, the festival was a good time. Can't beat good tunes and nearly perfect weather in Chicago. See you next year.


Frightened Rabbit








Blitzen Trapper







The Thermals





The Walkmen












Grizzly Bear













The Flaming Lips





[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2009 Day 2
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2009 Starts Today
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2009 Schedule
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2009 Lineup Finalized
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2009 Lineup Additions
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2009 Initial Lineup
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2008 Day 3
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2008 Day 2
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2008 Schedule
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2008 Lineup Finalized
[Count Me Out] Pitchfork Fest 2008 Initial Lineup

No comments:

Post a Comment